Wednesday, November 25, 2015

The Power of Loving Well



Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and as I ponder what I am thankful for the usual come to mind: my relationship with Jesus, my family and friends, a roof over my head, food on my table, and clothes on my back. Then it hit me, at this moment in time I am beyond grateful for my husband. Don’t get me wrong, I am very thankful for all those things I listed formerly. I never want to take those things for granted; however, today I am struck by the gift that my husband is to me. Let me explain. You see, I am a strong woman and it is not always easy to be married to me. I am opinionated, sometimes stubborn, and a lot of times passionate, animated,…hmmm…and a verbal processor (poor guy!).

Since our first date just over 24 years ago, my husband has done the most amazing thing. He has let me become who I am becoming. He has done no intentional chiseling, molding, or shaping of me with one exception – his love for me. His love is so selfless; so true; so deep; so beautiful. It has shaped me, molded me, and chiseled me. It has helped me to become who I am today and who I will be tomorrow.

Many may see my strength and think that my husband must weak or that I “wear the pants in the family.” Those people are wrong. It takes an extraordinarily strong man to choose to partner for life with a strong woman. Not with the purpose of “breaking her” but with the purpose of helping her fly.

My husband is a flesh and blood reflection of 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, “Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged.  It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out.  Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance” (NLT).

For this I am beyond grateful. 

How can you love those around you well? Is it your love that is shaping and molding those around you or your will? May we each strive to love well and in so doing transform the world around us.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment